Thread: Rheia: one final try at ground-up worldbuilding

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Port Development, British Columbia, Canada

Thanks for the topography tips, Tiluchi!

I'm diabolically picky about the look of my topography.

I must have tried hundreds of times to render realistic topo, for I believe it's the foundation for any aesthetically pleasing map. Never once could I find an easy, no-hassle technique, and even after 6 years of drawing maps, I'm no closer to that neon rainbow. I always tried avoiding satellite DEMs, as I believed that using them was tantamount to plagiarism, towards mother nature. So naturally, hand-drawing a map, using mother nature as merely a guide, seems to be my preferred option, although I also enjoy using Wilbur.

Wow, thousands of hours! It definitely shows! I've accumulated just under 500 hours since the beginning of this year, when I started my most recent project. (Of course, I can only afford to work about 16 hours a week on my maps.) Most of this time was spent, like in your case, on going back to the drawing board due to dissatisfaction with my results. I can only hope that my topo turned out okay. (Still dissatisfied with regards to that, lol).

At any rate, congrats on a project completed! I especially enjoy reading your descriptions of the geology, meteorology, and geography of your world; it shows a keen mind and an obvious expertise in those fields. This is the kind of map I'd like to have on my bedroom wall, to perhaps lull me into a lucid dream, where I can visit the exotic locales you've written about.

Peter
    Last edited by Peter Toth; Yesterday at 09:11 PM.