Thread: Posting my first map: a fantasy peninsula

Map Posting my first map: a fantasy peninsula

This is my first time posting a map publicly. I used black micron pens on a normal sheet of printer paper. I consider myself a map hobbyist but I have always appreciated these boards so I wanted to contribute.
    AnkordianPeninsula.jpg

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Oooh! Lovely. I do enjoy your line art. Hehe, it's always fun to see someone post a map publicly for the first time.

Just a quick question, is there a reason why all the names start with small letters? It is a bit odd since it is names.
    And if I want to go into finer details, I'd say the grass tufts are great and all, but a bit over used. Someone once told me, empty space helps a map sometimes. Since if a map it is too busy, it can be distracting. (I often have to tone down stuff on my maps.) In this case, I'd tone down the grass tufts by like a third, and rather add some faint dots to show the contours of the land.

Anyway, that's nitpicking.
    I like the map. A good forest, cool sea monsters and all!

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Quote Originally Posted by XCali View Post
    Oooh! Lovely. I do enjoy your line art. Hehe, it's always fun to see someone post a map publicly for the first time.

Just a quick question, is there a reason why all the names start with small letters? It is a bit odd since it is names.
    And if I want to go into finer details, I'd say the grass tufts are great and all, but a bit over used. Someone once told me, empty space helps a map sometimes. Since if a map it is too busy, it can be distracting. (I often have to tone down stuff on my maps.) In this case, I'd tone down the grass tufts by like a third, and rather add some faint dots to show the contours of the land.

The lower case names is purely aesthetic. No reason beyond that. You are right that I have struggled a bit with some of the space on the map. I have experimented with empty space as well but I haven't been really happy with anything yet. I definitely agree there is a problem to solve there.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Quote Originally Posted by XCali View Post

Thanks. The lower case is just an aesthetic choice. I liked the way it looked. I appreciate the comment about the grass - that space is something that I have been struggling with. I tried negative space but I didn't like that either but I will give it another try with the faint dots.

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Very nice, I like your linework and the ground texture detail is great too. I would consider making the mountains larger relative to the trees to make them feel more imposing, though that may harm readability a bit so I can see why you'd choose to do them like that.
    View my map and asset packs on CartographyAssets or DrivethruRPG. Support my work on Patreon. Take a look at my work on my Website or Instagram.