Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: February 2021 Challenge: Oghura

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default February 2021 Challenge: Oghura

Hey, I'm jumping in!

This is Oghura, the desert nation I've done the most development on in an otherwise nameless constructed world from the 2006-2008 timeframe.

oghura.gif

Yowch!

The fun thing is, I have a lot to work with, including a conlang and script that I plan to feature more heavily. This nation is populated by a lizardlike people of nomadic desert dwellers, ruled by the three Judges of Oghura Karat. To the south lie several nations of men, and to the north lie the original homelands of the Oghurans. To the east is the Kalatchali empire, a jungle populated by an avian race. In ages past, all this desert was once part of the jungle empire, until a climatic shift created a rain shadow of the Red Mountains - bringing the desert south. Naturally, the Kalatchali harbor an ancestral hatred of the Oghurans.

There's magic in this world, but it almost always works only by enchanting, or infusing, objects - and therefore appears somewhat technological. The Oghurans will, for example, infuse a water jug to carry far more than its apparent weight of water, enabling treks across the desert. They also carry rifles - infused to accelerate a projectile - and their Wardens make use of infused airships.

For the do-over, I'm planning to look at Marc Moureau's Southern Wild Lands for a lot of linework and texture inspiration.

One of the things I'm enjoying most about this challenge is seeing people's old work (you can tell this map is old because it's a .gif - does anyone use that format for anything but gif animations these days?!)

Marc's map is wonderful, so I'm looking forward to seeing how you incorporate that style into your new version.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

I like the layout, this one has got some years on it. It'll be fun to watch it develop, you've got some big shoes to fill, going after MM's style!

IR

Hee hee, I think this one must be a .gif because I gave it a transparent border around that raggedy edge!

And no kidding, I spend a good half hour yesterday just staring at MM's work...I figure the whole point is to challenge myself.

Here's a bit of progress on the line art.
    PXL_20210209_041833398~2.jpg

Okay, this will be a start on the mountains. I have lots of little hatching in my future to really lock in the style. I think these rocks will go well with it, too.
    PXL_20210211_042736513.jpg

Well, some of this I'm really happy with and some I don't think is working well.
    PXL_20210215_014511512.jpg
    Looking at the Southern Wild Lands, I noticed Marc did a lot with little courses of hatching instead of solid lines, and the mountains were more rounded and isolated (with the hatching giving them their real shape). Then, after I did the mountains on the left, I started looking at more of his other work, and... Well, I think a lot rides on how well I do the hatching.

The more texture I get on this, the better I feel about it...
    PXL_20210216_042525575.jpg

Some telecons today made for a good time to get a lot of desert textures done. Now I'm breaking out my 0.03! Those mountains look better already.

### Latest WIP ###
    PXL_20210217_041940659.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast