Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: June/July 2016 Lite Mapping Challenge: Commission, Map a Partially Destroyed Village

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post June/July 2016 Lite Mapping Challenge: Commission, Map a Partially Destroyed Village

June/July 2016 Lite Mapping Challenge: Here Is Your Commission, Map a Partially Destroyed Village.

Last months challenge was a huge success ( I got Lucky ), so let's try it again.
    This time the challenge is for you to make a map as if you had been hired by an author who needs a map for his book. I will give you the specifics as if the author had given them.
    Your map must comply with the specs, or you had better have a good reason why they don't.
    Use your imagination. Use your skills. Have some fun. Earn 500 silver pieces,,, OK, 1 silver compass. Still worth it!

THE COMMISSION:
    For my new book "Death Came Calling" I need a map of a village or small town. Make the whole map so it will fit on an 8" x 11" page and it should have a nice border around the map with a legend that provides some details about the map.
    There should be a crossroads, a town square, a tavern or Inn, a handful of personal residences and a few shops. Pond or river is optional. Now the tricky stuff, the town should have a SECRET that shows on the map, such as a grotto, or a hidden cave behind a waterfall, a druid's grove or small stonehenge, or even a crashed alien space ship. AND the town was just recently attacked and partially destroyed by forces unknown, natural or otherwise. Maybe a tornado ripped through town or a wildfire, or a horde of orcs sacked the town, or two dueling mages couldn't control their fireballs, or the whole Aliens vs Predators vs Arnold thing happened here. I would like one or two nice illustrations on the map so it will catch the eye if someone is just flipping pages. ( You don't have to draw them yourself, if you are unable to then stock art will be fine as long as it fits the map)
    I need the map by July 14th, it MUST be completed by that deadline.

The Genre is up to you, RPG fantasy, modern, SciFi, WWII, Zombie Apocalypse.

The Challenge will run until the 14th of July (more or less) and then there will be 3 days of voting. Someone is going to win a Shiny Silver Compass.

As usual, title your threads: " June/July 2016 Lite Challenge: << your title here >> "

Don't forget to put the hashtag: ### Latest WIP ### in front of all WIP pictures, and especially in front of your final map.
    And remember, if you put more than one image on the same post, only one of them gets picked up.

Quick rules reminder: The Lite Challenge is open to anyone who has not already won 3 Silver compasses, 1 Gold Compass, or been selected as a featured Cartographer's Choice Map.
    Also, the map has to be started after the first day of the challenge, no reusing older maps even if they were not finished.
    Last edited by Bogie; 06-18-2016 at 03:51 PM.

Nice challenge ! I want to participate, though I'm not sure I'll be able to, as I may not have access to my PC for some time. Good luck to everyone who'll join in, though !

I think you have another great challenge here, Bogie. May have to give this one a try.

Bogie I have to say this commission challenges seem extremely fun Was really sad I didn't have time for the last one but I'll definitely try to find some now
    I'm allergic to pollen! - Amaranthus hypochondriacus

I can't wait to see what you guys come up with!!

This is an awesome challenge! Sad I can't take part, but I'm sure we'll get lots of great entries again.

Maybe this is part two of 'The old mage and his new love' series. I think he cheated in this book and the new love destroyed his village in revenge!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Lol ChickPea! This isn't fair Bogie! I have so many ideas for this already!

Alas, this challenge I will. It be taking part of...my plate is full with projects this month, but I will be watching with avid interest!
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Bogie, great job writing up these commission-style challenges. They sound terrific, with a good balance of specificity and artistic leeway.

I'm going to sit it out, though, I have too much stuff in progress already!

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Sounds like a great follow-up challenge Bogie! I haven't done a village map before but I have some ideas for it so will try to join in if I have time. Hopefully not the day before this time though!

Man, Bogie using us again to get free maps for all these books he's writing.

I originally didn't think I could join, but I just read through the description, another awesome challenge. Hopefully I can make time to join it.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast