Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: June / July '17 Lite Challenge: An Oasis in the Madness

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default June / July '17 Lite Challenge: An Oasis in the Madness

This isn't an oasis in the traditional meaning but one that does exist in the real world not too far from here. The world has been heading towards increasing insanity lately and so to escape from it I sometimes take myself off on walks in nature, away from people, to enjoy what's around. This map represents one of these such oases.

Just a rough sketch for now, to get me started. I think I more than qualify for starting it after the challenge started but Bogie can confirm that I've got a few days to get this done

### Latest WIP ###
    Oasis.jpg

Sounds like an oasis to me

Looking forward to seeing it develop

I've got the main roads in and the river. Does anyone know how to stop the gaps and ends and odd things happening with paths in GIMP when I stroke them?

### Latest WIP ###
    Oasis.jpg

Hey Straf

Looking good.

I haven't had that problem with the paths, but I use one path per job. Are you using several paths?

The other thing is it might be related to how many nodes you have really close together (that's just a wild guess). I'm a bit tied up at the moment to try it myself...

I do all my little paths and then merge them into one called 'roads' then stroke them. Then I'll do the same for the tracks and stroke them together. I might worry about that later and get on with putting the various terrains in place.

Well I've been busy blocking in the foresty bits:

### Latest WIP ###
    Oasis.jpg

Maybe its the merging them that's causing the problem? I discovered that if you do the horizontal of a crossroad (for example) then come back and click directly on the one in the middle, then move and click again you start a new line, but its all part of the same path. When you edit you can move that new start right on top of the middle one in the first bit of the path, and although it doesn't join the two bits of the path together, when you stroke that path the whole thing is stroked as one thing.

Your map is coming on really fast, and looking great

I've done the forest bits and I'm now filling in the bits and pieces of other land. I hope to start on the tracks and trails and redo the roads then I can start adding some 'details'.

### Latest WIP ###
    Oasis-1.jpg

You'll be finished long before the end at this rate. This is looking very professional

I've been thinking about the road problem. You could do this without using any paths at all. Draw them with the round brush in white, remembering to turn of all the sensitivities to the pen pressure and speed before you do, so that you have a perfectly smooth and even line. Then use a glow effect to create the lines down either side of the road.

Hmmm, I might try that. Cheers

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast