Thread: September 2019 Challenge: Mauberg

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default September 2019 Challenge: Mauberg

I hope this is legal, I didn't realize that my map was going to be autumn themed, but now it is and the challenge happens to be autumn, so I hope it counts as a valid entry even though I've posted it in the finished maps section

Edit : cool I've asked around and it seems okay the created date stamp on my first wip was the 18th so I'm in the clear!

This is the last iteration I did, fine tuning color choices and cleaning up some of the sloppiness, settling on the name and adding some framing.

### FINAL ###
    ### Latest WIP ###
    Map_Mauberg_2k.jpg
    Last edited by Pomb; 09-23-2019 at 09:13 AM.

Wip

The struggle started with an ugly sketch. I knew I wanted the town / city to be embedded on the mountain somehow maybe on some kind of stepped terracing, and I quite liked this idea of seeing the map through the clouds, after seeing an image from the Etherington Brothers about an establishing shot composition through clouds.

cityMap04_01_sketch.jpg

Wip

I laid down an Iso grid to help try keep things in some kind of consistent angle
    (I still don't quite know how to rotate a building against the lines of the grid, if anyone knows a good tutorial or demonstration of how to do this please link me up)
    And started to clean up the drawing with buildings, It's at this time I realized I don't know what buildings looks like.

cityMap04_02_line_01.jpg

Wip

At this point I still didn't quite know what the color pallet was going to be, but was thinking it was going to be very similar to my previous map, since I really liked how the coloring came out on that one. (I didn't look at the forums to see the challenge was autumn themed...) I started making some color masks at this time as well to capture the roof tops and building colors, mountain and grass. In true form I rush this process and I regret it everytime, having clean selection masks saves so much time later I really need to take the time to do it accurately in my next map.

cityMap04_02_line_04.jpg

Wip

At this point I try decided to do something different with my color scheme because I was struggling to get a pallet that I was happy with. At this point the grass looked a bit sickly and I haven't quite gotten the color of the mountains to gel with the rest of the piece. I'd finally finished all the peasant buildings, they were took quite a while and I still don't feel comfortable drawing buildings.
    cityMap04_02_line_10.jpg

Wip

I felt that it started to come together at this point, the colors of the mountain worked well with the yellow orange (I should have thought of that first being the obvious complement) and also threw the clouds back in with some clean up and small modifications. I felt that the ground had mixed messaging with the steps feeling very sharp and pointy but the grass felt very round and soft, so modified them to feel softer. (At this point I didn't have a name, but after taking a second look at Loln, it was too similar to LOL, so later changed it to Mauberg, I was actually trying to find something closer to city on the mountain side. Nameology is hard. I was going to put some smaller illustrations in the corners like my previous map, but later decide against this.

cityMap04_02_line_13.jpg

If you started it within the time period of the challenge, then yes, it should be legal.

Also, this is really fabulous!

Gorgeous map!! The color scheme is gorgeous, and the perspective is really nice.
    Excellent work!

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

This is a very lovely map.

Not quite certain on the legality of it, tbh. I've always tended to think that maps should be made specifically for the challenge and started after the initial announcement, but Arsheesh can make the final decision.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"