Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would it be worth it? Live tips and techniques for GIMP

Default Would it be worth it? Live tips and techniques for GIMP

So.. I watch games on Twitch a decent amount. I have seen they have a Creative channel and with seeing how many questions people have in various techniques, would it make sense for a 1-2 hour stream with live questions and answers? I will first say, I am no where near an expert, but can explain various ways to illustrate shadowing techniques, layer management, and layer mask usage in GIMP.

If I were to get enough interest, I would consider hosting a Q & A session. Those who only wished to view, could do so anonymously, those who wish to participate with questions via chat would need to generate a twitch account. Additionally, questions could be asked ahead of time here, possibly including sample images for "how to with this image" and I would do what I could to what what I would try.

Note that if this happens, it would likely be around 8-10 Eastern time M-F night. With enough interest, I might consider a monthly or bi-weekly stream specific to mapping.

thoughts?
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected DarkInfinity's Avatar

Others may have a different opinion. Maybe I'm not to that level yet, but I could not see me devoting an hour (or 2) a week to watching something like that. I could see me tuning in if there were something specific I were interested in. and skip around the video to get what I wanted out of it.

Maybe if it were more of a talk show with guests or something where there was some general banter going back and forth in between questions that might be worth while.

Now if you cut that down to 20 - 30 mins (or even 15 mins) and have a short focus, like one or two techniques per episode, that might generate a following. Or even a story arc of here is the end goal (for example a world map)
    Week one the outline and maybe country outlines, week designating major features (mountains, lakes, maybe laying out some rivers I don't know the full process I'm new) one week could be devoted to actually drawing the mountains and shading. You don't need to make everyone sit through drawing every mountain, do a couple big ones and a couple small ones, maybe a n-s range and an e-w range.

Let people drink from a water fountain, not a garden hose, if that makes sense.

Just some thoughts from a potential viewer.

EDIT:
    Or the first half (15 mins) be the tutorial and the second half (15 mins give or take) be Q and A
    "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step." ~ Lao Tzu

I am most definitely a visual learner, and I'm trying to work with GIMP, so very much yes please

I'm more than just a little shy, however, so I would only be one of "the watchers"

Quote Originally Posted by DarkInfinity View Post
    Others may have a different opinion. Maybe I'm not to that level yet, but I could not see me devoting an hour (or 2) a week to watching something like that. I could see me tuning in if there were something specific I were interested in. and skip around the video to get what I wanted out of it.

Maybe if it were more of a talk show with guests or something where there was some general banter going back and forth in between questions that might be worth while.

Now if you cut that down to 20 - 30 mins (or even 15 mins) and have a short focus, like one or two techniques per episode, that might generate a following. Or even a story arc of here is the end goal (for example a world map)
    Week one the outline and maybe country outlines, week designating major features (mountains, lakes, maybe laying out some rivers I don't know the full process I'm new) one week could be devoted to actually drawing the mountains and shading. You don't need to make everyone sit through drawing every mountain, do a couple big ones and a couple small ones, maybe a n-s range and an e-w range.

Let people drink from a water fountain, not a garden hose, if that makes sense.

Just some thoughts from a potential viewer.

EDIT:
    Or the first half (15 mins) be the tutorial and the second half (15 mins give or take) be Q and A
    I guess I may not have explained well. I have zero specific topics to cover and don't want to make this into a highly structured teaching format. Nor do I plan to have this ongoing... this won't be a talk show with guests(though, others may like the format and wish to emulate it in the future!) The idea was similar to a call in help desk but with "live" video of me attempting to answer the questions in real time. If there are no active teaching for a specfic chat supplied technique, I would just be randomly talking about whatever while working on one of my own maps or doodles or whatever.

Think video version of phone a friend from "Who wants to be a millionaire" but a bit longer answer... My goal would not to monetize this in any way(twitch itself does commercials before users can watch the stream, but I don't get a cut of that), but at the same time, if I get 1 person on the first stream, I would be happy to help that person along, but likely would not do any follow up shows a few weeks later, especially if I answer that person's question and am then talking to myself for the next hour or so because their question was answered and they left.

I might consider some type of tutorial, but honestly, I am kind of lazy and figuring out what to do is just more work than I want to invest(which is the point of having people ask things they might have some trouble with) and me providing my suggested solution(where possible).
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I am most definitely a visual learner, and I'm trying to work with GIMP, so very much yes please

I'm more than just a little shy, however, so I would only be one of "the watchers"
    there is no voice, so just sign up and type your questions in real time... besides... I don't bite, unless asked too.
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

In that case count me in - though my questions will be totally basic - like... what's a mask, and what does it do?

If you decide to do this you will have to explain how to get set up to take part (I'm pretty hopeless with most things until I already know what I'm doing)

Blog Entries

"Grokking the gimp" is a bit outdated but the basic concepts still work
    and so do the tutorials on the gimp website

but as they say
    "you can lead a horse to water .... "

99% of most issues come from not doing this
    RTFM !!!

https://www.gimp.org/docs/

https://www.gimp.org/tutorials/

https://www.gimp.org/books/

hats off if you know what " To Grokk" is without google
    -- hint: has to do with " Barsoom"
    http://gimp-savvy.com/BOOK/
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Quote Originally Posted by johnvanvliet View Post
    "Grokking the gimp" is a bit outdated but the basic concepts still work
    and so do the tutorials on the gimp website

but as they say
    "you can lead a horse to water .... "

99% of most issues come from not doing this
    RTFM !!!

https://www.gimp.org/docs/

https://www.gimp.org/tutorials/

https://www.gimp.org/books/

hats off if you know what " To Grokk" is without google
    -- hint: has to do with " Barsoom"
    http://gimp-savvy.com/BOOK/
    While I agree fully that the tutorials and especially grokking the GIMP is good.. i find some of the biggest things I see is people using the wrong tool(including myself early on). It's kind of like if all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Specifically, there are some very simple concepts that people don't "get" and thus they "paint themselves into a corner". Simple things such as using a separate layer for dodge/burn or shadows/highlights are critical for non destructive workflows as much as possible. I have seen plenty of people use selection to put 5 textures onto a singular layer when in most cases, it's better to fill a single layer with the texture and use a layer mask to limit each of the textures size to the correct location.

of course, those are like my opinions man...
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Reading gives me loads of jip with floaters - little dark bits in the aqueous humour of my eyes that fly around like a fuzzy swarm of bees when I scan too quickly from side to side, which makes reading a slow and laborious task - and then my brain falls asleep because I get bored with going so slooooowllllyyyyy. So I learn nothing at all for all that effort

I prefer audio-visual learning because it bypasses that problem, and audio-visual learning with the added facility to be able to ask questions has got to be better than a pre-recorded video - no matter how brilliant the pre-recorded video undoubtedly is

Hey jfrazierjr, this is a wonderful idea!
    When i recently tried to explain how i'd do some specific things in Gimp to fellow Guild Members, i felt that although i have figured out some stuff for myself in the time working with Gimp, i always encounter various functions and questions i still have no idea about yet or tried to find "ways around" in my own workflow (not to speak of my problems explaining them adequately in english ).
    Although i think that most of the more professional people around here work with other programs, many new members are using Gimp for their first steps into mapmaking. So i guess such A&Q vids would be of great help, not only for me!
    Due to your time zone, i'm not sure if i could participate "live" in it, but i think the twitch videos can be watched later too?
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast