Thread: WIP: unnamed Earh-like planet

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hello again!

Well, the other day I got very demotivated about the whole thing as you know, so I took a little break, for about 24h... Feel like a drama queen now.

Anyway, I wasn't planning to, but yesterday after writing my last post I opened the map in PShop just to take a casual look and play around with it in hope of deciding if I could fix the current model or I should start from scratch, and one thing led to another and now I got another version of the map (just the rotation, I won't do the boundaries till I get a finished working model).

02. Tectonics (12-06-14) (with E Poles).jpg

I started fixing the poles and nș1 and 3 (for the novel), and then worked my way into the rest, altering boundaries' shapes when needed and adding micro plates (ugly blobs, I know) to correct inconsistencies. I tried to keep in mind:

- General direction of the plates.
    - According to that, what rotation would make more sense (towards a subduction zone).
    - Avoid divergent + convergent boundaries, though in some areas, like south of nș1 and 3 with nș7, they are divergent but because of the rotation they don't seem to retract from the boundary as much/fast and nș7, which I guess is not consistent, but I didn't see how to fix it, considering I need 1 and 3 to clash into each other while being consistent with the rest of the plates they border.

What I reckon I didn't have in mind, and I guess it's significant, is how ALL the plates came to be (some I know), which one separated from which one in such, so I hope the map it's not all messed up because of that.

Please note:

- A few more of the Euler Poles are now out of the plates, so it might a bit confusing to find them, but they're not far from the plate they belong to.

- The numbers of the plates are much more out of order than before, result of adding and deleting plates as I needed, so for example now plate nș2 is somewhere else.

- nș19 and nș12 happen to share Euler pole, basically because I realized nș12's worked for nș19.

So, how does it look now? Does this version work? Any major or minor issues?
    Last edited by groovey; 06-12-2014 at 03:50 AM.