Thread: Machair and its mountains

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip Machair and its mountains

I'm very new to map-making and I'm working on something just for fun, and would enjoy hearing some opinions.

Last time, when I made my only real map from scratch, I used brushes for mountains and trees. This time I wanted to try and create everything myself. Not sure if I'm being overly optimistic about my "talents".

I've attached my new map, which has most of the basics done. The labelling isn't finished. I've still to add some names, and I'm going to move them around and might change fonts and so on. I want to pretty-up the main title in the sea area too. I'm also thinking of doing something for the towns/cities instead of just a coloured circle, but haven't decided what. There are a few other bits and pieces to be worked on/cleaned up too.

What I'm mostly interested in hearing is what you all think of the forest and the mountains, and, of course, first impressions of the map in general. I made my own brushes for the trees and tried to fill out the forest area a bit, without going so far as having a forest-shaped 'blob'. Does it work? Also, the mountains ... honestly, I can't draw for toffee and I was a bit nervous of even trying this. I followed a tutorial from the guy at Fantastic Maps (he makes it look so easy!) and I'm sorta OK with how they turned out. If I take my specs off and lean back from my monitor, they at least look vaguely mountain-like! I don't seem to have individual pointy peaks though. It looks like one big line, which isn't quite right, but the thought of erasing everything and starting from scratch again is a bit soul-destroying. I'm also not sure if I've gone overboard with the colouring. Do the mountains seem to blend OK or do they stand out too much?

I'd love to hear some thoughts. Thanks, folks.
    Attached Images Attached Images