Hi all,

I've been cruising the forums for a few days now looking for how to scale a large image down to a smaller size and I can't seem to find a way to do it. Here's the specific problem I'm having:

I have an image that's poster size (34" x 24" ish) (6250 px x 5000 something px) I don't have the exact dimensions but it's quite large. When I go to print the map, the scale says that it is 1" = 5 feet (it is a grid battlemap) however the squares, when printed, are measuring 2" (way to large for a D&D mini). So I figured I need to half the size to get the printed grid to be an actual 1" square and wow was I wrong. Maybe I mathed wrong, but I ended up with 1/2" squares. I tried various pixel dimensions and couldn't find the magic 1" square. I assume I'm doing something wrong or overthinking a really simple fix that I just haven't seen or read about yet.

I figure there's an equation out there I don't know about (similar to how to scale up an image to print at 1" squares) and this is the place to ask. I'm using GIMP and printing in Excel so maybe it's the importing into Excel that's the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Zach