Thread: Menzheim [an unusual commission]

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Professional Artist SteffenBrand's Avatar

Regarding the buildings outside the wall - I will concede that Chris did bring up that point when I sketched it and in the version I sent him those buildings were not present.
    Perhaps if I was playing Dark Eye and knew more about the situations in the game it would change things for me. I had someone on DA say something similar.
    I'll say this - if the city is in a state of war or is frequently attacked then I can see the point. But a successful thriving city that is growing will have buildings outside the walls and from what I've seen in many historical reconstructions the city often pushes past it's walls and does build near the walls... often it takes a while before they build new outer walls.
    I think it also depends on what those walls are defending the city from - outside attackers, wolves, rampaging were-rabbits....
    Haha, yeah, the typical threats... Actually you are right - kind of. We both were, it poses a risk, but it was done (and humans are often times not logical in what they do). Also it is true that it often took a while before a new wall was build around the cities again if they grew.

Jeez, leave the shadows in. It's much cooler this way! =)

Part of my family in America is stunned during visits here in Germany when they hear that a ruin can be around 1,300 years old. Time is perceived very different, when a nation is young, such as America - what I mean to say is this: Cities in Europe can be more than 2,000 years old, in this time things change A LOT!

By the way, if there is ever a need for a map of Menzheim I know of, I will refer to you for this (since I work for the company that produces The Dark Eye).
    Best wishes, Steffen
    Last edited by SteffenBrand; 11-26-2015 at 07:09 PM.
    Visit me on ArtStation.