Thread: Guild World Map - Community Challenge

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

OK, I'm very confused. I am not a cartographer so I may be missing something basic, but I am very good at geometry.

JE's most recent map is divided along the equater into 24 equal sections ( Equatorials? ) so 360 degrees divided by 24 is 15 degrees. so each section is 15 degrees.

If I paste JE's original scale onto that same map, and ignore that it says 10 deg. it fits almost perfectly between 2 equatorial lines, if so then 24 x 525 miles = a circumference of 12,600 miles Half of earth.

If I paste JBGibsons top scale onto the map, then one section measures about 380 miles giving a circumference of 9120 miles. Very small, about the same as Mercury.

Now if I am incorrect in my assumption that everything was posted at the same scale, then this is all wrong.

However if I look at my Island ( map 8 ) which lies on the equator and superimpose these scales on it JEdwards scale makes my island about 740 miles long and JBGibson's makes it about 580 miles.
    Both are pretty reasonable sizes.

If I ignore the scales and go with JBGibson's figure of 15 degrees = 1894 miles, then my island is about 2500 miles long or 80% as wide as the United States. That just does not fit.

Even if I assume the planet is exactly the same size as the earth and each equatorial is 1000 miles, my island is still over 1500 miles long, slightly more reasonable but still off.

So, what am I misunderstanding?
    GuildWorldDistance.JPG
    Last edited by Bogie; 04-11-2016 at 01:20 AM.