Thread: Variable regional fantasy map project

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Wip Variable regional fantasy map project

This spring I did a lineart map tutorial for beginners that earned me a Daily Deviation on DeviantArt. Around the same time I did that basic map I started work on a similar, yet more detailed and more complex map of generally the same region, but which then went on a hiatus since I filled my time with commission work. Still, over the months the idea for a concept has grown in my mind, and this thread here is where I will try to put my thoughts into form. The general idea is this: take one region and largely maintain its topographic features, but adapt it to different climatic and (fantasy) cultural settings. So, a Scandinavian/Viking themed one, a desert themed one, a jungle etc, each with adapted symbol sets for locations plus up to three "special" locations. The first thing I've done is tackle my old nemesis: forests! Immodest as I am I'd like to claim these are my best forests yet. Here's a concept (and I realize that it's too bright at the moment; changes are coming ).

New Forests Example.jpg

I've already created the same concept trees/forests in three different color schemes + two autumn schemes + one winter schemes + two fantasy schemes (light blue and deep red leaves). Puh. It's actually kinda refreshing to work on personal projects once in a while.
    Last edited by Wired; 09-06-2016 at 05:38 PM.