I have been drawing since long before my first memories. Especially as a kid I remember drawing anytime I got the chance and then more. When I was about 6 or 7 years old I was actually behind in school because I was constantly drawing and doodling in my textbooks instead of doing my homework. I always said I wanted to be an artist when I grew up, but, perhaps some other here relate to that, people told me that there was no work in that and it was no way to make a living. I didn't stop drawing though and always continued to draw small illustrations, scribbles and doodles. When I was about 13 or 14 I kind of left drawing and started pursuing other passions like theatre and music.

I got back to drawing after reading the Lord of the Rings trilogy and being intrigued by Tolkien's maps. I examine his maps and draw maps of my own, though I was still oblivious to the world that is Fantasy Cartography! I tried to come up with some background story for those maps, but quickly left it for what is was. I never shared my newfound interest with anyone because I thought people would find it weird or stupid. I was hooked however and kept scribbling quick and small maps until March/April 2015. I found those first maps that I had drawn and wanted to finish and expand them.

I searched the web for inspiration and quickly found that there was many more people with and interest in fantasy cartography. I looked up tutorials and guides. Many maps that I found came from a certain website called 'cartographers' guild'. I signed up and looked around, but it was the first time I tried to use a forum and couldn't manage to make sense of it. That's where I almost left.

I'm happy I decided to come back to the guild and give it a second try. I have found so many helpful tutorials, guides and WIP's and also a helpful and kind community of people that are always willing to help you push your limits and give compliments, feedback and critique. I've been around for 18 months now and I have learned and improved so much. The guild and its awesome people have actually inspired me so much that I decided to take my chances and start a business as a freelance cartographer which is going pretty well now. In a way they are the ones that have helped me realize a childhood dream; to become a professional artist.

So I'll take this chance to say thank you and give a shoutout to this great community!

-Dan