Thread: Boyz and their Toyz

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Heh wicked ! No I don't mind at all. Just if you go into printing off millions decking out the rich and famous with the new 3D face picture fad then can I have a cut

I was hoping that with the ability to scan and do 3D terrain that maybe I can get some freelance games work. I am more of a programmer than artist but I could never believe that games companies art department could run without some programming ability.

My early scanner was used on one game for some aliens. "X-Com apocalypse ?". The game is really really good actually but since I did the aliens you have to play it for months before you get powerful enough to deal with extra terrestrials and that's when my object scans come in. I don't know why I never pushed harder to do more work with more people really. Life just gets in the way of fun sometimes. When I asked about those years ago you would get a response like - 50000 polygons for that head ? Our <Lara Croft equivalent type character> only has 350 in total... at the time it was a bit ahead of it but now I reckon there's many people with the ability to do it so I doubt ill get involved with work for that reason instead. But ill have a go.

Still, it was all there sitting about doing nothing and I just had to put a new motor on it so I thought heck lets get that thing fired up again.

Edit -- Just looking at this... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-COM:_Apocalypse Theres the mention of the megapod. I scanned that one. I might have an image somewhere but I ought not to post it because its a licenced item. I think I safe to talk about it tho The original sculptures were done by this famous SF sculptor dude but I cant for the life of me remember who that was.

Edit2 -- Oh yes I still have the (battered) piccy. Some UFOs, the Food Chamber and the Maintenance Factory are marked on it. I never bothered with the in game names they were all object1, 2, 3 etc as far as I was converned. Theres a UFOPedia in the game where you get the pics logged. None seem to survive on the web tho.

Edit 3: YESSSS I dont believe it. Check these out... http://xcom.strategyplanet.gamespy.com/x3u8.shtml

Edit 4 ! BTW that link you provided is awesome - check out all of those lovely 3D models and figures. Ohhh I drool looking at those. Have some rep !

Edit 5 !!! It seems I have a power 3 repping stick ! Ok no more edits - this is getting silly now. Yes very silly.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 09-15-2008 at 07:04 PM.