I have found a cool map in the public domain:

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki...rtier-1693.jpg

I'm a bit confused if I'm allowed to draw a few lines on it and publish it in my book.

It says:
"This photographic reproduction is therefore also considered to be in the public domain in the United States. In other jurisdictions, re-use of this content may be restricted; see Reuse of PD-Art photographs for details."

Then for my country it says: "Netherlands
Symbol OK.svg/Nuvola apps error.png Inconclusive. In the Netherlands, the Van Dale/Romme-arrest, a decision of the Supreme Court of the Netherlands about a database, states that a work must possess two characteristics in order to be copyrightable: een eigen oorspronkelijk karakter (its own original character) met een persoonlijk stempel van de maker (and a maker's mark)
This ruling is considered to be applicable to other 'works' (as defined in the Auteurswet 1912) as well. However, it is unclear where to draw any line with regards to these two points, so it remains to be decided on a per-case basis if a photograph of an old painting can be copyrighted or not. Generally, exact and technically perfect photographs of two-dimensional objects in the public domain are not considered copyrightable, since the aim of making an exact reproduction rules out any originality on the part of the maker (see also the explanation on [7])"

On the page it also says: "You cannot overwrite this file." What is referred to as 'overwrite' ?

Thanks for you help!