Hello fellow mapmakers! I just thought I would take a small moment to introduce myself.

My name on the internets is Riorlyne, but most call me Orli. I've been guest-lurking for a while on the forums here but Naima's amazing work on Thersis and detailed WIP thread finally convinced me to give things a proper go myself and join the cartographers. I have very little experience, but I have a lot of imagination (and that has to count for something).

I'm a big fan of Lord of the Rings and other fantasy works and love the look of hand-drawn maps with old parchment textures and unique compass roses. I hope to produce a good-looking one of those someday. I've got a WIP thread started over in World Mapping, and am currently giving Arsheesh's height-mapping techniques a go. Hopefully it works!

A side question: is there an average timeframe for posts to make it through moderation? I thought I posted in my WIP thread earlier but the computer wasn't very helpful and I'm not sure if the post disappeared into thin air. I'm happy to wait, just would like some idea of how long I should wait before giving it another try.