Thread: New World (Help with Tectonics?)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ok, getting close to something usable I think. I don't know what I was thinking on my first attempt - I think I over estimated the influence of the axial tilt far too much. Thanks to Charerg's comments, I also now realise that evaporation rates play a large role, so rain shadow affect might not be as great in higher latitudes.

A few more questions/comments (hopefully there won't be too many more):

1) Semi-Arid > Cfb transition seems quite abrupt. Should there be a narrow band of Csa for transition, or does this simply just not occur inland? I think the Westerlies would be blowing around 30-40 latitude in winter, so maybe a band of Csa?

2) I changed this to Cfa, but then looking at the wind map, most of the winds are being diverted to the southern monsoon in winter, and this area is quite 'continental' with some highlands, so probably winter dry?

3) More or less the same question as 1). I have the Csa ending at a moderate highland region, with the other side being Cfa as East coast receives onshore winds in summer. Does this look ok?

4) This Himalaya-Tibetan plateau area is causing me the most difficulties. As Charerg pointed out, it is at quite higher latitudes than Tibet, so probably not as dry? That said, the westerlies do hit elevated highlands, but would the general moisture in the area mean it is fully humid? I have the high part of the plateau as tundra with the peaks as ET. This transitions into Dfc as elevation decreases. The semi-arid > Dfa transition doesn't seem quite right. I have included a basic elevation map.

5) I think there would be desert, but probably quite limited. I'm not sure if the transition here look right?

As an aside: Do you know why the Jurassic had high temperatures overall?

Many thanks for everyone's support and patience.

ClimatesMountains4.png

Elevation.png
    Last edited by davoush; 05-04-2018 at 05:55 AM.