Quote Originally Posted by davoush View Post
Quick question (I feel like I could make a book out of my 'quick questions' at this point...).

Is it reasonable for the continent in the image to be rifting in two places? My explanation was that the rift formed at A is newer, and is because this piece is moving towards the subduction zone than the other, older rift to the East. The older rift is an eroded collision zone which happened about 100mya, hence the large lakes forming as the two pieces move apart. There is also subduction to the East, further motivating the rift. I don't know if this is too much rifting?

I am trying to understand what the terrain would be like so I can make a reasonably detailed elevation map, taking into account tectonic history and current processes.

Many thanks!

Screen Shot 2018-05-10 at 00.31.06.png
If you just want some elevated terrain there, it could also be an aulacogen (an ancient failed rift) or an old collisional orogen as the two pieces collided at some point in the past. I do think two simultaneous rifts along the same axis is a touch unlikely (though not sure if impossible per se, but it would be a fairly short-lived phenomenon).