Been mulling this over for a couple of weeks... finally had a spare couple of hours.

Real journey, real person - the blog is at

https://journeysofacheesegirl.wordpress.com

The blog is a fun read - the TL;DR of it is a young lady at Middlebury College, Vermont, USA gets fellowship to research local cheesemaking around the world. She spends over a year traveling, centered on seven nations in four continents.

Now, knowing the strong feelings (both pro & con :-) ) at the Guild on the subject of cheese and cheesy jokes -- this is absolutely an absolutely ideal journey to map. Then, upon many milliseconds of thought, I asked "why not do the MAP ITSELF in cheese?" I can report it is an easy medium to work with, albeit low-resolution. I first pictured a layer of continent outlines in one color cheese, atop a 'sea' of another color. Then I thought of inlaying the land color into the sea color. Fortunately once I practiced cutting, I concluded the inlay idea would be madness, and further, that trying to cut outlines then place them atop another layer of flat cheese-sea would be tough to get aligned. So I just went with land outlines on an aluminum cookie sheet.

I had to stick with fairly chunky outlines, so I printed a rough world map.
### Latest WIP ###
CheeseJourneyOutline.jpg

Then I started cutting away seas. The way one would do this as inlay work with wood veneer would be super sharp knives cutting through both layers and the template at once. Somehow I knew cheddar would not stand up to that treatment.
CheeseJourney1.jpg

CheeseJourney2.jpg