My map is 5500x2750px using Equirectangular and supposed to be the size of Earth but not Earth. I'm trying to make an atlas and convert it to uninterrupted Mollweide so that I can measure stuff somewhat accurately so we know how long it takes to travel. I want to know how I could size things up so I don't make something to big or small. I've come up with
4.52mi (4.52745455mi) = 1px along the equator.
9.05mi (9.0549091mi) = 1px along the I'm unsure what it is called please let me know but the polar equator if that makes any sense.
9.0549091 * 2750 = 24901
4.52745455 * 5500 = 24901
And this is kind of useless with my current understanding I've tried to use GProject and switch to uninterrupted Mollweide to measure the amount of pixels but this seems less helpful than Equirectangular because changing it from Equirectangular to Mollweide curves it up and then when I go into GIMP to measure it is harder. Am I doing it wrong? The continent I'm working on is in the position of about where Australia is in the world. Should I forget about making it Equirectangular and just make it a square I was doing that before and it seemed more useful having a linear scale for it. I've seen people make square regional maps does that have anything to do with scale being easier to find? I'm pretty new to this so any help is appreciated! If it is all over the place let me know and I'll try to clarify.