Thread: J's Inkman Experiment thread

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    I was wondering about a Cintiq... But I'm quite happy with my Intuos Medium. I found myself drawing on a very small area of it, anyway.

What makes it easier to draw directly on the screen? It's a very big difference in price.
    I'll address that below....
    Quote Originally Posted by Llannagh View Post
    Regarding the cintiq-question: I personally use an intuos medium aswell, but abut two years ago my sanity took a quick vacation and I got myself a Microsoft Surface Book. I thought it was a great idea at the time, because I wanted to get back to mapping and be able to do it sitting on my couch. The Microsoft Pen, the screen and any program I used convinced me otherwise, though...
    That aside, though, it was the first time for me drawing directly on the screen, and I didn't like it. Personally, I got very quickly used to drawing on a tablet while looking on the screen. In my opinion, that's way better, because your hand is not in the way and you can see everything.

I love threads like this, btw. It's always great to get a glimpse of somebody else's process, and this one is no exception!
    I have heard several people say about that - the hand being in the way.
    I don't understand this. What do you do when you draw on paper?
    Your hand would be in the way, yes?

Using the cintiq is more like normal drawing for me, so I found it very useful.
    I just could not get into looking at the screen instead of looking at what my hand was doing.
    Maybe it is a different thing if you grew up being used to typing and not looking at your hands.
    Idk. That seems like the best reason I can think of.

I don't want to convince anyone to go for a cintiq. They are expensive.
    And they can have problems like any wacom device, in the sense of conflicts with adobe and MS.
    I have a near constant problem with PS, which is why I am always looking to move away from PS.
    The problem does not occur with other software. Just Adobe's, yet adobe always says it is wacom's issue.

I have some issues with wacom too. shrug. Nothing is perfect.
    In the end, I have work that has to get completed, so I do what I have to do.
    I acquire tools and software that help me achieve that better. Mostly.
    But I am always on the lookout for something better.
    Sometimes I just go back to the traditional, because it is often better.
    It definitely feels better. Until I need color. hehe

Edit - I thought I should add...
    There are also downsides to a cintiq.
    I know of more people who get neck and arm pains due to the position you tend to be in while using one.
    It seems that you don't do that with a tablet like the intuos, because you are not leaning over it.
    All that said, I could never achieve my work with an intuos.
    Last edited by J.Edward; 12-13-2018 at 12:39 PM.