This is bit of a different project, a tourist map of a real world island (ca 6 km*2 km). It's not a commission, since it was my own idea and am not getting paid. I'm doing this because the place important to me and doesn't have a up-to-date tourist map. Also, several people in my family run small tourism related businesses in the area so they'll use it.

My plan is to make a map marking the places that tourists might want find and include landmarks and names of roads to make them easier to find. The noteworthy places will be represented by an oversized picture of the building and have a box beside/under them with a number and the name of the place. On the back of the map there will be a list with more information about these places.

The map is drawn from a perspective so that you can see details in the village in the foreground while still seeing places that are 6 km away. For those interested I've also added a map from open street map of the island as a comparison. I'll probably keep it black and white to ensure a good result even when most copies will be printed on home printers. It will also make it easier to do the three different language versions I'll need and make modifications throughout the years.

Comments appreciated! What should I think about when doing a tourist map? Anything that usually annoy you about tourist maps that I should avoid? Any smart ideas how to imply/show distances and scale on a map like this one?

Here's the work in progress (I've drawn it on a A3, which won't fit into my scanner, therefore the two part scan):
rosala-skiss.jpg

Comparison from Open Street Map:
rosala-osm.JPG

Note: I'm new to the guild and haven't seen anything like this here so wasn't sure where to put it. If this is in the wrong forum please move it.