Quote Originally Posted by Charerg View Post
The oceanic circulation always forms a loop, and since there is water "draining east" around the 45°, it follows that water must flow south->north to replace it. The winds would also be a factor. Also, due to that mass of water having been deflected northwards by the Philippines, it already has some momentum behind it in that direction.

It's not dependant on the continental shelf, as these are surface currents (and indeed primarily tied to atmospheric circulation, ie. wind patterns).
I appreciate the reply Charerg, and that makes good sense. The issue is, as you address later in your edit, that the above logic is reasonable given an established system but when trying to build it from scratch, it can’t necessarily be relied upon to direct how things should be built.

Edit:
I guess the main takeaway when it comes to automating the process is identifying bodies of water that would contain a "closed loop", since it would be good to replicate the circular pattern of real oceanic currents. Most smaller bodies of water and inlets/bays could mostly be ignored as they wouldn't make that big of a difference when it comes to the global climate.
I thank you for saying this since my own approach has been slightly different. I hadn’t considered isolating the bodies of water themselves and using those edges to be the guide for currents. I may try to incorporate this approach if my current piece-meal building of the currents becomes frustrated. I’ve been having the most trouble with the islands in southeast Asia but if I were to do it as you suggest I would ignore that area entirely since it would not qualify as a major body of water (whereas the Pacific and Indian oceans would).

Attachment 119884
I don’t believe you have shared that but it’s beautifully made. How did you make the current lines so smooth?