Thread: [WIP] World of Aduhr

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Novice

First off, I'm incredibly impressed by these maps; the amount of research, skill,artistry and effort that's going into them is truly inspiring! However, I'm getting hung up on one aspect that's causing me trouble myself, and that's scale. The shape and realism of your mountains are incredible, but to my eye they look like regional (aka small-scale) mountains, such as could be crossed in a day or two of hiking. Given the scale of your world I would guess that these mountains are meant to be much larger, approximating entire mountain ranges like the Rockies or Himalayas. However, at those scales mountain ranges look much different than the ones you've illustrated; they look more like clusters of noise, and individual ridges are impossible to discern. I've uploaded a couple images to demonstrate what I'm seeing:

Scale_Europe.jpg

Scale_USA.jpg

With that in mind, a few questions:

A - Am I misinterpreting the scale of your map?

B - If not, did you choose to represent your mountains as you did for artistic reasons?

Or,

C - Did you choose to represent them as you did because the tools you're using (Photoshop, Wilbur), don't allow for that level of detail and resolution?

I ask because, as I set out on my own mapmaking journey, I want to make sure that I get the scale of my mountains right before spending many hours fleshing out the height maps. However, I'm also pretty inexperienced with Wilbur so I want to make sure I don't work on a scale that the program can't handle.
    Last edited by LowerSpatialDimension; 04-17-2020 at 12:35 PM.