Thread: Kay & Iff

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Map Kay & Iff

Hello again, so as some people may have noticed I've been doing much more with a lineless, painted style of map recently. It is fairly time consuming but I am liking the end result.

After the Patterned Vale (way back in July - which seems like forever ago) I wanted to try the same style but for a more regional style map. And so I decided to try out the style for a lineart map I'd made for my boyfriend (the wonderful, beautiful Kellerica, who actually moved in with me this month <3<3). The main design of the map is a heart with two islands, Kay and Iff (no prizes for guessing the names ). For Kay I included plenty of forests and lakes in reference to his home country of Finland, stretching out into archipelagos (we both love drawing them and both have a love of Earthsea) that loop round to circle the small, mountainous isle of Iff.
    Brushes are mostly the same as used in the Vale piece, though I did try my hand at making some brushes for the first time (for the forests). For the colours I again looked for inspiration from Ghibli movies and similar. Timewise it's hard to say how much time was spent as there was quite a bit of experimentation needed. I have also concluded that I cannot do borders - the final border is my favourite of all the attempts but still not entirely satisfied with it. I also decided to leave it label-less after a few attempts didn't work out as well as I would have liked.

Kay&Iff.jpg
    Last edited by Ifrix; 07-29-2021 at 12:32 PM.