Thread: Climate help needed!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_Wilson63 View Post
    For purposes of general world mapping, yes. Now, if you were mapping sea travel lanes or fishing resources noting counter-currents would be a good idea. Certain counter-currents can also have a disproportionate affect on local weather, but that can only be discussed individually.
    Aha, maybe I'll do that later because it's not super-interesting and right now I only need enough to be able to create different biospheres and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_Wilson63 View Post
    Your new map looks really good. The only place that looks odd to me is the sea north of your eastern equatorial continent. At first glance I would expect some circular motion there. Looking a bit more deeply, however, what you have is probably as good at anything else. I really don't have a clue how that would turn out in reality.
    Thanks! I made a little change to the sea you mentioned, and I think it's less fugly now. You can see the changes in the maps I'm posting now.

I made the evaporation and condensation maps now. But I confused those with high- and low-pressure areas. I should just forget about air pressure and concentrate on where water evaporates and condensates, right? As a result, these maps have a little bit of both, so I should do them over. Things that have been affected of me thinking about pressure areas I've marked with a * in the below explanations. But before I do this over I'd like to have your input so I'll know which of my thoughts have been right and which have been wrong.

I've concentrated the blue areas (evaporation or high pressure) over places of the ocean where there are warm currents, because warm water should be likely to evaporate. I've also placed blue areas on land between th 15th and 30th latitudes*, because in those real life weather maps I posted earlier there seemed to be high pressure areas around deserts. I think I've read something in Wikipedia too about deserts making air flow upwards a lot because it's so hot. In the summer I've given deserts on the northern hemisphere more priority over deserts in the southern hemisphere*, because I read on WP that the sun is at zenith on the tropic of cancer during the summer solstice. The situation is reversed during the winter*. But it doesn't make sense with evaporation in the desert, so that's why I'm thinking I should forget about air pressure. In the global scale I've also focused on making a lot of blue zones in the north in summer, and in the south in winter, because the weather is warmer then.

Red areas (condensation or low pressure) I've placed a little bit further away from the blue areas, and on elevated ground, because it's supposed to rain around mountains. Some red areas I've placed in the ocean, like the two in the NW corner of the winter map. I imagine that they get their moisture from the nearby blue areas, but when that moist air travels past a certain point in the north, it rains down because it's too cold there.

For both red and blue areas, I've avoided the equator because the intertropical convergence zone is supposed to be there, and that's supposed to do weird things. According to the WP article air is supposed to rise up there. But it also seems like it's supposed to rain a lot there, so I don't understand which is supposed to be true.

The equinoxes I haven't made yet. To me it seems like the spring equinox should be identical to the autumn equinox. Because it's the same temperature/tilt of the axis towards the sun, right? Marking the actual winds I'll save for later when this other stuff has been cleared.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Qwynegold; 10-06-2009 at 12:23 PM.