Thread: Thinking Big about Guild maps

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Id like to submit a few entries - maybe our first poll

OK, I have #4 saved as the FT map and from that can do everything requested, but I agree this is a GUILD project and I would like to see RedRobes contributions first. I agree a Poll, maybe with a 1 week vote time?
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

I'm happy for a poll. How does one set it up? Might be something to consider: I'm not sure we can have a poll too often in this process as it might slow things up considerably when it comes to development if we poll whenever there is a decision to be made. But maybe as this issue is fairly fundamental to the project we should.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Torq - As long as the voting time for polls is short (2-3 days (?)), I don't think that they will impede the process of the project very much.

is this project open to all CG folks? because i wouldn't mind getting in on this. NK's map number 4 has all kinds of possibilities.

To create a poll, just start a new post and (near the bottom) use the check box for "post a poll with this thread" and specify the number of options. It shouldtake you into a poll builder after that...

-Rob A>

The voting time should be short. I agree with 2-3 days. More importantly we need to get all the options in reasonably quick time, before any voting can take place. We've got NK's 4 options. Redrobes, Su Liam and anyone else who wants to, can you get something up on this thread within 48 hrs. No detail, jsut basic geography, heightmap etc on a planetary scale.

Terrainmonkey, its most definately open to everyone. Thats the idea. Once we've polled the basic planetary layout it will be a very short time beofre we can all get going.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Blog Entries

Will do. Apologies but Wednesday night is my XBox night... I have a few maps already. Gimme a few hours and ill post a page with about 8 on there - all similar but with different shapes. I had to mod my little utility app to output in 16bit height map.

Blog Entries

Heres a page of thumbs to bigger pics.

I can do more if people want them or feel that there might be a better pattern than those shown. I could make the edges all sea for example if required. Just takes a few seconds to generate each of them.

The color is programmable - this is just to display the general shape. All of them have 16bit height maps for them which I can dish out in HF2 or as a pair of 8bit images. These are 2048 but I can go larger if required or better yet is to take a small section and boost the res of that area to another moderately large res version.

There is no scale but should be treated as large / planetary. The mountains shown are not single mountains but areas that are generally mountainous. If these maps are planetary and were talking earth sized planets then a really huge mountain is still a few pixels across. Earths widest river would be less than a single pixel at these scales. Theres no erosion or any physical effects at this stage. That does take a lot more processing so if any of these are chosen then ill do it for the picked one.

I really don't mind whether these are used or we go for another but having a detailed height map can really speed things up.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 03-27-2008 at 04:09 PM.