Page 28 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast

Thread: Middle Earth DEM Project

Blog Entries

Yes its clearly something height related but there's something different about our two systems and apps. Its ok if your busy, I have a few days more of processing to get mine complete anyways. The processing for my next little bit has completed so ill see if I have just covered Tolfalas now...

Ahh yes. It looks pretty similar to me. I don't think this is a problem. I included the name so you can see the font. I'll have to get it to you. If you rerun it will just do the places and run to the end without doing too much - certainly not the whole processing or any texturing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cool, yes it's the same now. Much nicer font that.

monks

Blog Entries

Mine has finished processing and I put it into Proland. Tried level 11 for 40K but it barfed a lot and eat 30Gb of HDD so I had to run at 10 so this is a 20K res proland version of the 40K map - Monks, mail me and ill get you the new builder app. Anyway, here is a shot of the Isengard area. Its nice but it gets a bit hazy at low levels that wipe a lot of the detail near to the ground. I dont know if there are options to control that but anyway its great at world distances and is the best we have till we see the Outerra engine in action.

Ok heres another one or two - Sunrise over Mindolluin and the Ephel Duath.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Redrobes; 06-13-2011 at 11:41 AM.

Beauties! Check your mail.

monks

Ok, just a quick update guys, I think the only way the ME-DEM terrain is going to stand up to scrutiny from orbit in a planetary renderer like OuTerra, is to use real terain.I think if we had tools like Howard Zhou's poission seam fixer and l-system splines we'd be able to fake it pretty well, but looks like they're not going to be here for a wee while.

I've decided to start with the mountains as they can be dropped in easily. Mordor is the most challenging of the ranges- it's the most contrived so you need to do a lot of shaping of the dem. I've hashed out a new workflow using 16 bit pngs. I'd really like to use Photoshops CS5's puppet warp tool in future, but I'm still running XP64 here! :/

I'm using 90m SRTM 4 in this. The dem in OuTerra is at 40K, ie, 100m res, so it's a good match. The only downside with using r-w data is the fixed resolution, but I reckon we could get away with going to 50 or 25 m res and still have it looking good. Mordor uses the Carpathian mountains as the basis for it, if you check it out you'll quickly see why

At the moment the slopes along the perimeter are a bit severe- depending on your taste. For real terrain they are perhaps but it could be argued that Mordor is an unnatural place- more a giant fortress than a mountain range. Robes has written a nifty blender so that should help a lot. The immediate goal is to use his texturer on real terrain I've sourced from SRTM v4 for those mountain ranges I've not modelled- almost all right now- to get them into Outerra.

monks
    Last edited by monks; 08-19-2011 at 10:32 AM.

Blog Entries

Each post has a max of 5 images so here are the rest of monks images in a new post:

Oh balls! lol...haha...I went back into the editor and the code had all changed...and I thought to myself "has this flaming editor got a mind of its own?!"...

monks

Blog Entries

There - all fixed up. Nice images BTW. So thats Mt Doom just left of center on image 1 ? Cool.

Ta..yeh Mt Doom with its own little crater and lava flows!

monks

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I've said it before, but this is some really cool stuff here guys!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 28 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast