Thread: Thinking Big - Torq's landgrab - choose a territory

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Should create a forum for this project, it is going to be big in the end. Have a sticky of completed maps with link to thread for the map. Come up with a world name for the forum title too.

I would tend to agree.

I'd suggest Slartibartfast Project, but I'm keeping that for myself... oops.

Ahhh, World names. I like simplistic names.

Lets look to what we call out world: EARTH. Named because of the land, the ground the earth on which we stand.

The World of Greyhawk is named Oerth as slight variation of our own world.

The world of Faerun and the Forgotten Realms is known as Abeir-Toril or sometimes just Toril, meaning 'Cradle of Life'

I have just finished reading the entire World War/Colonization series by Harry Turtledove (a great read, and I highly recommend it). In the books, the home planet of the aliens is known simply as Home, and our planet is called Tosev III (as Earth orbits the Star Tosev in their language/astronomy). Other planets in the Races empire is Hallasi and Rabotev.

So, funny names aside, I believe a planet name should sound realistic and have some sort of Meaning (like Earth/Oerth, Abeir-Toril, or Home).
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Perhaps a poll of participants is in order once we fill the grid? Even just to name the continent/'kingdom' and then down the line when it can truely be called a world and not just a corner of one, we can give her a name.

We could use a generic term, like Gaia, Gaea, Geo, or Terra for example.

Or, some thing simple along the lines of Aigir, Tolos, Finear, or anything that has mostly soft consonents with variable combinations of double vowels.

That leads to simple words that are still unique sounding, without going to overboard.

Also if we take both one and two, we can use tha cliche terms and change them slightly to create things like; Tierra, Gairan, Erenith, Geois, Gianu, etc.

Whatever we chose, it has to be something that is short and rolls of the tounge, because even if its going to be called Rinthnorgmehrgocklugsomin, people would end up calling it Rinth.

(PS, thats actually a place in my world map; funny story... when the Gnomish Kings; Rinth, Norg, Mehrg, Ockslug, and Somin joined there kingdoms, after a 10 year debate on what to call the new kingdom, it became that... they had to draw straws to see whos names whould go in what order of course...)
    The pen is truly mightier then the sword, for with one quick stroke, a pen can kill your drawing; but the sword takes a couple hits before you drop it into negitive HP.

Well, if we work of other names for earth, lets look a bit off the map from the generic Terra/Gaia/Earth

Tellus, Erde, Ina Maka, Jorda, Era, Erdaz, Orthe, etc. are all names once (and still for some) used for the Earth in various cultures.

Perhaps combine a couple of them: Jinde, Ordas, Jorth, Inas, Jorus, Inthe, Elluth, etc.

Plenty of possibilities, the only question is how to get everyone to agree.
    Last edited by NeonKnight; 04-03-2008 at 02:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Venardhi View Post
    Well, if we work of other names for earth, lets look a bit off the map from the generic Terra/Gaia/Earth

Tellus, Erde, Ina Maka, Jorda, Era, Erdaz, Orthe, etc. are all names once (and still for some) used for the Earth in various cultures.

Perhaps combine a couple of them: Jinde, Ordas, Jorth, Inas, Jorus, Inthe, Elluth, etc.

I am up for ANYTHING except TELLUS. I work for a Phone Company called TELUS and I hate them

So, no TELLUS.

PS Sorry for editing your Message, Hit the wrong button
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by Venardhi View Post

I like the names of the old continents:
    Pangea
    Gondwana
    Panthalassa
    Laurasia