Thread: Thinking Big - Torq's landgrab - choose a territory

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

I m not familiar enough to comment on its ability so ill just quote what Monks told me...

FT does export current viewport extents. I've tried the .mdr export and Wilbur is fine with it (well it would be). I'm not sure of the bit depth right now and I'm not sure if one can do this as a raw either but I can take it through other apps to get it to a hf2 anyway

...and then later...

FT can only export viewports as mdr so ft to hf2 was out- hence the tg detour.

...So I know he tried the FT to Wilbur route. Thats all I know but Monks tends to know about these things as he transfers between apps a lot so I just took it that it must be true. It sounds like I could have got to png16 easier then but I need hf2 so I derived the png from the hf2.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 04-06-2008 at 08:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    I m not familiar enough to comment on its ability so ill just quote what Monks told me...

FT does export current viewport extents. I've tried the .mdr export and Wilbur is fine with it (well it would be). I'm not sure of the bit depth right now and I'm not sure if one can do this as a raw either but I can take it through other apps to get it to a hf2 anyway

...and then later...

FT can only export viewports as mdr so ft to hf2 was out- hence the tg detour.

...So I know he tried the FT to Wilbur route. Thats all I know but Monks tends to know about these things as he transfers between apps a lot so I just took it that it must be true. It sounds like I could have got to png16 easier then but I need hf2 so I derived the png from the hf2.
    I just wanted to be sure that there wasn't some particular reason that you used that tool chain. I'll try to remember to get a whole-world and view 16-bit PNG surface output into FT in the future.

I did a Wide Histogram on the 16-bit global heightfield. The smallest value is 9200, the largest value is 15950. The Optipix Wide Histogram filter I have uses bins with a width of 25 values, so I can't give you exact stats, but I'd calculate that the image uses at least 270 distinct values and at most 6750. Not exactly 2^16, but better than 256.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I tried to rep you, but no go... I'll try again later. Maybe this is the punishment for trying to rep myself .
    Last edited by su_liam; 04-07-2008 at 01:47 AM.

Redrobes, thanx for the Region PNG heightfield.

NeonKnight is it possible to get a temperature map for both summer and winter for the region. Rainfall is not important. I would like to see how far the ice pack shifts downwards from the artic region for both summer and winter.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne View Post
    NeonKnight is it possible to get a temperature map for both summer and winter for the region. Rainfall is not important. I would like to see how far the ice pack shifts downwards from the artic region for both summer and winter.
    Unfortunately, no, FT gives a median temperature only. Realistic (or even semi realistic weather/seasonal patterns) are beyond the scope of the program.

Also, for me, I have NO clue about the Farenhidt scale as I use Celcius, which is odd because I do all other measuremnts (except voulme) in Imperial (feet, Miles, Pounds)
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

If only the 4 seasonal temperature values that FT computes to generate the average could be exposed to the outside world somehow...

The climate computations were not really intended to be part of the original FT design but were something that I threw together on the fly. Providing visualization of seasons would lead directly to users wanting to edit temperature/rainfall for each season, requiring either separate sizes for those editing maps or allowing extreme amounts of memory usage (which FT doesn't handle so well).

I have been considering providing a "season" slider to the derived items (temperature/rainfall) to see the values for a particular season, but providing seasonal editing probably isn't in the cards in the near term.