Thread: Cuvie - New revised edition

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I don't think the low contrast is necessarily a problem. It makes the map seem a little bit gloomy, like a rainy day. It puts me in mind of some of Torq's work, actually.

There are definitely some river problems. I'll just call out a couple of them by way of example. There is a mountain range between Exylon and Swelawia that appears to have a river that starts in the foothills, climbs up the mountain, and then runs back and forth across the mountains until it drains into a lake. You have quite a few rivers doing similar things, but less dramatically. Generally speaking, a river will seek out the low ground on the same side of the mountains that it starts on. In the case of this map, I'd say you just need to shorten each river so that its headwaters are closer to the place where it exits the mountains. That one running down the center of the mountain chain isn't necessarily a problem if it were starting about level with the S in Swelawia.

The river that runs through the Exylon label seems unlikely, too, since it's running roughly parallel to and close to a mountain range. Think of your mountains as a force pushing the river away from them. That river should probably run more in the center of that valley, perhaps with a couple of tributaries coming down out of the mountains to meet it. There are several other examples throughout the map where the rivers are running parallel to the mountains instead of seeking the lowest land.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Hey great comments, that be. Really usefull!

I use photoshop btw