Thread: Critisism on new World Map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Does your world have a twenty-something degree axial tilt like Earth? If so, your intertropical convergence zone is going to shift northwards in the northern summer, and southwards in the northern winter. The shift will be rather more over land, and less over water. A straightforward reference is http://www.physicalgeography.net/fundamentals/7p.html.

I can't tell the order you've followed, but it makes the most sense to figure generalized seasonal pressures, then generalized seasonal prevailing winds, and only then generalized ocean currents. A whole lot of the driving force for surface currents comes from winds.

jbgibson: i started with the generalized pressure and after that I tried to figure out the wind patterns, and lastly the ocean currents, but I didn't know that they were influenced by the wind! What direction does the currents flow if the wind, like in the wind pattern maps over the oceans in both july and january, have different directions (january = clockwise, jully = counter clockwise)?

If the seasonal winds outright reverse, I guess other factors like where other currents "push" water will start to matter. That is bound to modify a starter set of wind-driven current guesses anyway. Or decide one season has stronger winds than the other, and just say the total winds up being a weak current in the slightly predominant direction. Or if you're not talking whole oceans worth of water sloshing around, let the current reverse with the winds... would make for some interesting commerce possibility :-).