Thread: [Award Winner] Eriond - A Tutorial for GIMP & Wilbur

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

That turned out fairly well Morgan. You managed to blend the mountains fairly well (which is one of the tougher bits). My only bit of corrective feedback would be that the map looks just a bit hazy, as if a Gaussian blur had been applied to it. Also, there isn't a whole lot of texture on the mountain areas. I'm not quite sure why this is, and so I don't know quite what to recommend to fix these issues. That said, even with these little faults I think it turned out pretty well. Great job.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

I'm glad, myself, to see Morgan's post. I printed out the tutorial a few weeks ago and tried...and failed to produce any kind of map. My map at one brief point looked something like a map but when I did the next step I lost it, ending up with what seemed to be just the bump map. Seeing Morgan's work reassures me the problem has to be between the keyboard and the chair (as expected!). I'm planning to try again soon. Each try teaches me more, so I'm already learning tricks even if I'm not yet getting what I'm trying for.

That said, I'd be interested in finding out if it was indeed a Gaussian blur that was the issue. To me, it looks great but a little bit as if looking down on it through a very thin layer of clouds. Kinda cool, I think.

Bill B.