Thread: Middle Earth DEM Project

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Journeyer

Hello

Had a look at the project on Outerra yesterday - amazing job folks! - I've been following your project on and off with excited anticipation, stumbled on the Outerra and I saw your contribution - great job!!! - it does look magnifcent so far, if you've got more to add with routes and buildings and such, it's going to be spectacular when complete...Im sooooo tempted to make Weathertop ruins for ya, but just don't know if I can commit just yet.

Out of curiosity - what would the specs be? tri count, # of textures @ what res? - looking at the Outerra files, looks like Diffuse and Normal textures (no specular?) @ 1024 for tiled ground textures. what texel density are you looking at? I assume you need 3 LODs as well.

I wanted to show your work off today, demo won't load and tells me it's looking for updates. I updated my drivers yesterday so, I'll need to look into it - anyway, I was instantly wanting to know - how do I get my own map in there? I read the overview in an earlier post, sounded a lot more steps than I expected. I had been making a world in Fractal Terrians, at first I was curious if I could churn out tiles and it just drop in , but I see it's a lot more complex.

I've used World Machine and Wilbur, so the arty side is still within reach for me, but sounds like theres a load more things to consider.

Do you have a tutorial or workflow you can show? I'll love to find out. Im guessing at this point it'll be a few years before there's a chance for me to get to see something like a user friendly importer implimented into Outerra? (I'd ask this on their forum, but I'm waiting for my registration to be approved)

anyway - thanks for all your hard work! it's truely very inspiring and I look forward to seeing more....and getting back there and flying about as if Im on - I dunno, - a giant eagle ?

cheers
    jez
    Last edited by jezelf; 04-23-2013 at 06:57 PM.