Thread: Middle Earth DEM Project

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Awesome info JezElf! THANKS

I have a copy of Max, Maya, Mudbox. I *might* be able to get a copy of ZBrush...which is actually my favourite out of all of em.
    I've decided to try and model a rock...lol...phew, but I'd like to try and get an obelisk or something into Outerra - see how it looks.
    I've no idea how to get models into Outerra so will have to read up on that. I'm sure it can't be that difficult.

Haha...years in the making, ok ok, well ya never know...best foot forward and all that..
    I'll check your website again and I might take you up on that offer of other workflows but post any screenies you have of the terrains, it's always cool to see those.

btw, check this out, Cameni sent us this the other day. This is really big news imo. I think this technology will really make it possible to make terrain and games at planetary scales.
    HPCG lab

monks

Guild Journeyer

Hey there!

Zbrush is fun yes - just be careful trying to import a mesh of millions in to Max or Maya doesn't kill it! - I need to get back to Zbrush, been away from it too long.

Lot of video game related stuff works with zbrush max/maya work flows. Here's some environment Sculpting links that may interest you...

Various Tutorials Some of which also below.

Tiling Rock Wall Tutorial Console, Standard Development

Generic Wall Tutorial create high quality tiling meshes in a short amount of time.

Standard Materials Wood, Metal, Various Stones and Blocks

creating perfectly tiling meshes in Zbrush a workflow to create perfectly tiled normal maps on perfectly tiled lowpoly geometry, especially useful for cliff faces and rough stone surfaces.

Uncharted 2 Texture Workflow in ZBrush

How To Create Tiled Textures With Nonuniform Stones Using Zbrush

For importing stuff, there's a whole import section on the Outerra forum. people have been bringing in all sorts of things. I expect you've seen it

that link's cool you posted, thanks - clouds are cool too.

I suspecting you're aware of city Engine? another cool thing that would help make planetary scale stuff.

you’re probably aware of it but if not -

Esri CityEngine Trailer - YouTube

Esri CityEngine | 3D Modeling Software for Urban Environments

create procedural cities in no time

Examples - CityEngine and Unity - YouTube
    Watch 1. CityEngine Basics | Procedural Inc. Episodes | Tech & Gadgets Videos | Blip
    CityEngine Example Videos

people are using it for in game stuff

Unreal Game Engine featuring CityEngine - YouTube
    Unreal Game Engine featuring CityEngine - Making Of

Examples - CityEngine and CryEngine - YouTube

sorry - a bit of a 'link dump'!!!

cheers
    Jeremy