I copied this from the Genre and Setting thread since I wanted to discuss the map components.

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post

Aside from that we still need a world map. I see 2 ways to achieve this.

1: everyone submit a map and we choose the best.

or 2: we begin to wonder what we would like the map to look like and we build it together. Or one of us build/modify it and wait for approval.
At the beginning, I wanted to do #2 but too few people seemed interested at the time so I made a contest. It did not really work that well in my opinion. I'm sure 2 would be better. I think someone told me he would like a pangea world. Well that is the kind of suggestion that could start a discussion. So, what kind of world do we want? Any particular geographic elements? We don't need to have the whole world right on the beginning; we can just start with one continent. But the general layout of the world should be completed before mapping regional areas.

The other thing we discussed was dividing the map for regional mapping. Squared or odd shaped? With or without buffer zones?
Depending on how Viewingdale work (a mapping software), buffer zones might be unnecessary if it's easy to update. I'll ask Redrobes about that.

How to create the world:
1: everyone take some lands and decide what's on it. It end up more a patchwork than a credible world

2: decide collectively, vaguely what's on the land: approximate countries boundaries, or cultural boundaries, important cities. The idea is to make a credible fictional world that is interesting to read about or playing in a RPG.

ps: I know that my point of view is totally biased
First off I am totally opposed to a Pangaea world. I can't imagine it offering a great deal of interesting mapping ideas. Interesting mapping points is what I'm really looking for, this is a fantasy setting in a fantasy world, there is no need to be timid and conservative with the map. Realism should not necessarily be our main concern regarding land forms.

Regarding the World map, I'm happy with editing elements into a map as suggested in two, I mangled my attempt to work on Azelor's map in doing so but it's worth the attempts. Personally I feel like having the whole world map at least in overview is important to starting off. Specifics should be left open for now.

My views on the division are pretty clear. Land modified zones with good buffers. Tying into the next point...

I think the diversity of a world is best served by having a supposed patchwork. Even in this earth I can't imagine mapping cultural boundaries very definitively. I think rather if we have our setting overview and general ideas of what is in the area that is more than enough to run with. Collective decisions regarding these things would lead to an unnecessary homogeneity, and I feel would lead to exactly the opposite of a world that is interesting to read about or play in. It would be far less credible I think than having the greater diversity and creativity a more open plan would allow.

Perhaps if number 2 was done on a more regional scale somehow it would work, but on a world scale I don't think so. Another reason I don't like this is because I want us to be mapping and developing all over the place, not just one region or continent at a time, and doing this while also trying to stick to number 2 is not conducive to one another.