View Poll Results: What is your favorite genre?/ What is your favorite level of magic?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Genre: High fantasy/heroic fantasy

3 25.00%
  • Genre: Mid fantasy

8 66.67%
  • Genre: Low fantasy

3 25.00%
  • Genre: Science fantasy

4 33.33%
  • Genre: Steampunk

1 8.33%
  • Genre: Science fiction

2 16.67%
  • Genre: Post apocalyptic

2 16.67%
  • Magic: High magic

4 33.33%
  • Magic: Mid magic

9 75.00%
  • Magic: Low magic

4 33.33%
  • Magic: No magic

1 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: CWBP 2 : Determining the genre and era

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

A) Scenario
    A.1 Anything pre-gunpowder goes for me.
    A.2 I'd rather not state any source of magic. Because "magic" shouldn't be a singular thing but a rather a catch-all word for all kinds of supernatural actions. I'd prefer magic to be rare and have little to no impact on the daily lives of common people, but have the potential to have extreme impact on the magician's own life and those who (s)he directly interacts with.
    A.3 I'll repeat my proposal to feature a small number of fixed gateways between select locations. Because this is something that would actually show on the maps, both via the placement of the gates themselves as well as the expansion and migration of peoples and kingdoms.

B) Physical Characteristics
    B.1 I'm good with anything that provides an interesting variety of terrain and climates.
    B.2 Similar enough to Earth that we don't have to reinvent how nature works.

C) Technical Details
    C.1 I can map.
    C.2 Right now I'm in favour of a hex grid on a Mercator atlas with reasonably small sized hexes, with limits set on how many hexes may be claimed for a single map.
    Last edited by Ghostman; 01-27-2014 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostman View Post
    A.3 I'll repeat my proposal to feature a small number of fixed gateways between select locations. Because this is something that would actually show on the maps, both via the placement of the gates themselves as well as the expansion and migration of peoples and kingdoms.
    I've just always assumed that some if not all of your locus points that you proposed way back had a feature like this. If we do this I think we should treat them more like sci-fi wormholes which have variable stability and also that the do not necessarily have well defined exits (in other words that not all of them end up at other nodes, nor that their exits are so well defined as to be easily discovered). There could also of course be devices devised to create or stabilize these things. I also feel that they should take on the aspects of the node they occupy. So if it's a flame aspected node so is the tunnel, and the things sent thorough have to be prepared to deal with that.

Another thought about the tunnels is the physical aspects of being inside of them. At first I was thinking instant sort of portals and gateways as you suggest, but my overuse of the misplaced word "tunnels" has me considering that what if you had to take actual trips through these things like they really were tunnels and maybe they have branches, maybe you can get lost in them etc. Maybe some of them even have flora and fauna etc. That'd be cool in my opinion. It also means mapping opportunities for the tunnels themselves.