Thread: WIP - map for novel and campaign setting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hi

I'm a fan of folks who "intend to get very specific" with their con-world, as they are surely like-minded to myself. So, welcome and take a like

I am curious about the rest of the map, as well as how did you go about running a quick climate setup. Being specific about climate is the task in hands for me, so I am very interested in hearing from you about this stuff.

The interesting thing about the rest of the map is that there isn't any. It took me a long time to realize that when I made full world maps, something in the magic of designing the world vanished for me. I like the thought of the unknown. That man (or any other sentient race) has yet to conquer the planet. (I realized this after my wife noticed that I stopped every game of Civ 5 once the whole world had been explored )

To keep that believable, the mountains in the NE are formed from 2 tectonic plates heading dead into each other. The mountains - for all intents and purposes - are impassable. The continent in the SW has monsters and creatures that become more and more deadly the farther south you go, until passage is impossible. A bit hokey, but it serves my purposes. And is that what creating worlds is about, anyways?

Anyway, the climate stuff I got from a thread here at the Guild. I can't for the life of me find the thread, but I did find the page it links to:
    The Climate Cookbook
    It's a pretty simple walkthrough, but it does the job. Plus, I feel its adding a ton of character to the world since now I know where it makes sense for monsoons to occur.. stuff like that.