Thread: The Köppen–Geiger climate classification made simpler (I hope so)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I do like your table, it look simple and clean.

The keys look alright to me so far.

I need to go back to what I said initially that was : when climates get colder, less precipitation is require to stay wet.

We have that formula: Precipitation= temperature/2 (+something)
    So, every time you move by 2 temperature categories, the minimum rain required move by one
    In photoshop, this could translate in having another layer. The original if for the total precipitation, we don't change that. The second and new layer is a modifier added to the original. It take in consideration that more rain is required in hotter climate to stay wet. The first serves only as a reference representing total precipitations and the second represent the ''wetness level'' or ''relative precipitation''?
    It could be done by making colder climates appear wetter using the same color scheme as the original.
    Last edited by Azélor; 08-24-2015 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    We have that formula: Precipitation= temperature/2 (+something)
    So, every time you move by 2 temperature categories, the minimum rain required move by one
    It doesn't. It is a linear relationship, it changes the scale (temperature and precipitation are measured in different units anyway), but not the progression. The graphs you showed earlier (temperature vs. precipitation) had that straight line. Twice as much temperature requires twice as much precipitation for the same level of "wetness".

In photoshop, this could translate in having another layer. (...) . The first serves only as a reference representing total precipitations and the second represent the ''wetness level'' or ''relative precipitation''?
    That's what I was trying with the "available humidity" map and the column called "humidity" in that reference table. Still, I admit having only arid/semi-arid/humid is too short to accurately classify climates - it's well enough to determine deserts but insufficient for anything else.

What should we use for precipitation level?

if I use the holdridge precipitation on the right combine with a possible equivalent on the left.
    very wet/ super humid
    wet/ per humid
    moderate/ humid
    steppe?/ sub humid
    steppe/ semi arid
    steppe/ arid
    desert/ per arid
    desert/ super arid
    I'll try to come up with a second 2-entry table adding up mean temperature and precipitation pattern. I mean, if I understand your idea (and if this is it I am for it), we will have three maps:
    1. mean temperature
    2. precipitation pattern
    3. "wetness level" / "available humidity" / "humidity" (pick your preferred denomination, I vote for "humidity")

Climate regions would then be determined by finding particular combos of mean temperature and humidity.