Thread: Maps that evolve over time

Default Maps that evolve over time

Hey there folks!
    Today I played around with my own wolrdmap and developed some maps that where made by the inhabitants of the world
    over time and represent what they know of the world and how they see it.

Forza Scheibe.jpg
    I. The most ancient worldmap in Discshape. Humans of this area believe
    that their great island is surrounded by high landmasses ans waterfalls that signalize the end of te world.
    ---
    Forza Scheibe II.jpg
    II. Humans explore more of their surroundings and now believe that the world has to be even greater than thought before.
    They start to draw great rivers on the map to make it more recognizable.
    ---
    Forza Scheibe III.jpg
    III. More ships sail through the oceans and across the coasts to explore more land.
    ---
    Forza Scheibe IV.jpg
    IV. Humans start to believe that every landmass is surrounded by ocean. So they sail around every landmass they get to know and even settle at new places.
    ---

Cool! Though I think somewhere in there they might have developed different cartographic techniques/projections and artistic values/representations what you've done with the range of exploration and the comparison of accurately depicted details through the ages is very interesting. Is there any influence here from developing civilizations elsewhere that provided their own maps and charts to the whole?
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Well, this is a map of the "known world" in the eastern part of the world and focuses on the worldview of the civilization of forza, located on the great Island that is in the center of each map.
    I also thought about creating maps that represent different views of the world by other different civilizations that are more in the west or north.
    I also want to go into bigger scales to show more of what different nations know of the world.

Until now I kept the cartography stile like "Hey there we found a map of our ancestors! Lets restore it"
    I did not write anything on the map because I did not find a fitting font, yet. But perhaps this will be an addition on future maps.

If you have any Ideas for a fitting next step in cartography development, tell me

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Interesting idea, Rwexler! Which timeframe are we talking about here? Hundreds, or rather thousands of years?
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!