Thread: List of Mapping Software

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Back on topic: I was browsing around for a good beginner-level dungeon and wilderness map maker, but I see that CC3 is rather expensive and Dundjinni is giving a SERVICE UNAVAILABLE response.

sooo... Is there something that's maybe a little less robust than CC3 or can someone tell me what happened to Dundjinni? (I don't know if I want it, but I do want to look at it).

cheers.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

there seems to be a frustrating lack of options here unfortunately. i'm trying to track down dungeonforge.

I've used CC3 before and while it's powerful it's interface is something out of the mid 90s that just kept adding more features. it's also way more geared towards outright cartography rather than building game maps/dungeons, despite the add-ons.

Try out Fractal Mapper 8 from NBOS. I've used FM8, Dundjinni, CC DOS, CC2, CC2 Pro and CC3. FM8 will do all that you want, and it's easy to learn, where CC3 has a very high learning curve.

Dundjinni has been mostly out of business for a few years now, and it appears that it went totally out of business a few weeks ago. The Dundjinni website has gone totally dead. Dundjinni is/was a good program for dungeons and battle maps but not particularly well suited for town or overland mapping. The program last was updated 7 years ago, in 2008.

You can evaluate FM8 completely without spending a cent. Just do the following:

1. Download the free trial version at http://www.nbos.com

2. Download the free manual-tutorial PDF at http://www.nbos.com/nox/index.php?action=1001&id=125

3. Download the free raster mapping tutorial at http://www.vintyri.com/vintyri/tu1.htm

The trial version of FM8 is identical to the full version with two exceptions: You can't save files, and you get a smaller symbol library. If, after you've tried FM8, you decide it's not for you, you haven't lost a cent.
    Last edited by Mark Oliva; 01-25-2015 at 01:39 AM.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Mark,
    Thanks for the info. Someone might want to update the opening posts of this topic so that new folks are not inadvertently misled...

By the way - Dundjinni is back up and running! :-)