Thread: What are some good hand-drawn mapping tools?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hi there Nerevar, welcome to the Guild.

After a bit of trial and error, this is what I use to do my mapping:
    --regular eraser
    --mechanical pencil for sketching and sometimes adding shade
    --0.1 Copic Multiliner SP pen for final product
    --I also find Photoshop to be a very useful tool for colouring and annotating maps, but prefer paper and pen for the actual drawing and design

This might sound a bit heretical to some people on CG, but I actually think that just about any ball-point pen can work for making a map. Those ones with the four colours are OK. It depends a lot on the level of finish you are going for, how you plan on using the map, and other aspects of your technique (for example, if colouring a map digitally, it is probably best to invest in a quality pen).

If you are interested in developing your artistic abilities, there are plenty of options out there: I don't know about different brands, but watercolours are perhaps your best bet for coloured pencils; just take care you get the appropriate paper, or else your image will start to warp.

Have you got any maps or practice images you're able to share?

THW

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Thanks for the tips, I don't really have anything worth sharing. Most of my maps are on CC3 so my hand drawn stuff is really sketchy haha

I don't use Photoshop but heard GIMP is a good alternative, so I gotta figure out how to use that.

In the past I've tried using Sketchbook Pro, which doesn't seem bad but I don't hear about it much here so I'm guessing it must not have the same options.

Guild Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by TheHoarseWhisperer View Post
    This might sound a bit heretical to some people on CG, but I actually think that just about any ball-point pen can work for making a map. Those ones with the four colours are OK. It depends a lot on the level of finish you are going for, how you plan on using the map, and other aspects of your technique (for example, if colouring a map digitally, it is probably best to invest in a quality pen).

THW
    I confirm that and don't find it heretical at all. I did quite a few maps with a ball pen only.
    The only problem is that one has to be quite sure about what one is doing because eventual erasing takes a lot of time.

But my favorite tools are one hard, one soft pencil and an eraser. There is nothing one couldn't do with that. If one needs color, I find that pastels are excellent for cartography because one rarely needs very precise color zones.
    Even if it is easy to do maps with it, I find water color annoying because one has to invest in quality paper to get acceptable results.