Thread: New to map making

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Default New to map making

When I was originally looking for map making software I stumbled across The Cartographers Guild website. I stumbled upon this website by looking up best map making programs D20 or something along those lines and on a yahoo answers thread someone suggested this site. I read through the forums and looked at various programs such as AutoREALM, RPGMapMaker, YeOldeMapMaker, Relief Map Generator, Fractal Mapper 8, and Dundjinni. I even tried a free trial of Fractal Mapper 8 and YeOldeMapMaker. I am a terrible artist so that ruled out programs such as GIMP, Inkscape or any photoshop/other draw your own maps and edit them programs. I also looked at several images on Google of maps made with these various programs and decided that Campaign Cartographer 3 was the type of program I had envisioned while searching for a map making program. When I was a kid I used to make instruction booklets for games I wanted to create, based loosely off of RPGs I used to play on Nintendo (the original NES). When it came to drawing the maps of the world it was always my favorite part. CC3 enables me to recreate that part of my childhood in a professional manner that I can use for my Dungeons and Dragons campaigns. I am very excited to use this program, and appreciate all of the company's hard efforts into making a top of the line product for such a niche market. I don't work for them btw.

Banned User

Hello Mark! Welcome to the Guild!

CC3 is a very nice program, and I'll look forward to seeing what you can do with it! Try some maps and post them here for critique. I think you'll find this is a great community for learning