Thread: Driving distance device, countertop in diners

Default Driving distance device, countertop in diners

Hi. I have a question... not about a map but about a device that displayed driving distances.

As I child I remember a device, smaller than a breadbox, that was made of lucite with a rounded top. It was from at least the '60s. Very well made.
    It sat on the counter near the checkout in a local diner for many years and every child and adult played with it. This was in La Place, LA, a small town outside of New Orleans, at a diner named Airline Motors.
    Being from a small town with this popular diner, I reminisced about this on FaceBook and everyone remembers the device fondly but no one can say what the device was called.

It had to be a promotional item from a gas company promoting driving. The diner was also a gas station. I'll have to find out what oil co. it was.
    Inside of the device was a barrel that was printed with cities and distances to those cites; One line of text was displayed through a slot as you spun the handles on the sides of the device.

It was very specific to the location. I remember you could even look up the distance from the diner to New Orleans, which I think I recall was listed as 26 miles.

Of course I'd love to locate one but even just a picture of such a device would be great to share.

Anyone have any ideas what the technical name for the device might be? It's hard to google without the right name. I've tried a hundred or so word combinations searching and thought it was time to approach some experts.

Thanks

Dave

Blog Entries

i am guessing a very simple radial slide rule
    these are still in common use in aviation

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...de-rule.id.jpg
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...mputer_016.JPG

my wrist watch even has a slide rule
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Thanks.
    This thing was about the size of a toaster... about a foot wide, 8 or so inches tall, 8 or so inches deep.

Dave