Thread: [WIP] Working on a continent

Wip [WIP] Working on a continent

First attempt at a map. I think I may have gotten over-ambitious on scale. I'm also just learning GIMP after spending 20 years using Photoshop. I'm fairly pleased with how the mountains turned out but am struggling to get good line work for other terrain features (hills and such). Figured I'd reached a point where I'd throw it out for comments.

Still planning to add more terrain details (especially linework), rivers and lakes, and forests/trees.

Map.jpg

Blog Entries

I like the mountains. The way the ranges run seem a little "stiff", but I'll leave the correction comments to the more experienced community members. But the way you've drawn them, line work wise, looks great! Did you draw all of them by hand or use a "brush"? Looks good so far though. Keep it up!

Out of curiosity, what made you want to use gimp instead of Photoshop if you were already so proficient with Photoshop? I've used both and personally prefer Photoshop, but please don't think that I mean it is better than Gimp. I like both.

Thanks! The mountains are all hand-drawn...after much trial and error.

As far as the transition to GIMP, I'd actually prefer to still be using Photoshop; as robust as I'm finding GIMP there are some features in P'shop I'm really missing (especially adjustment layers). I've always had Photoshop through my job before, but I'm kind of between gigs right now and had to go for the free alternative. That said, I have been surprised to find that it's more capable than I thought at first - lots of features I didn't expect to find.

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

You did a great job with the mountains.