Thread: Looking for suggestiong on a drawing tablet

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected NathanC's Avatar

Question Looking for suggestiong on a drawing tablet

I was thinking about getting into mapping more seriously and was wondering what you guys are using here?

I was thinking about getting a Wacom Bamboo CTH470. It's in the right price range for me and I think it should do what I need, but I'd like to get an feel for what ya'll are using before I pull the trigger.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected CaptainJohnHawk's Avatar

It all depends on the price range.
    Wacom is mother of all artist tablets and most of the top cartographers on this site use them.
    Max uses Wacoms Intuos tablet, and I know a lot of other artists do as well.
    I myself currently use that bamboo and it is nice, but pretty small and not as free moving as I would like it to feel.
    My next major purchase is going to be the Wacom Cintiq Hybrid. It is kinda pricey but looks well worth the price point.
    However for under $100, the Bamboo is a good way to go.

I also use an Intuos. The Bamboo line is very functional, but they do tend to be on the small side. Also, the USB cables are a little short, so you may want an extension.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected CaptainJohnHawk's Avatar

Yeah the cord is very short. It plugs ins in to the top of my tower, up two feet to my desk, and that's about it.

I've used a quite a few tablets and a Wacom is the best way to go. I've used other brands and they didn't track the stylus as well. An Intuos is a great tablet but it might have a lot of features that you don't need, especially to start with. That being said, the bamboo is smaller then I would like. I find that you should get a tablet the same size as a piece of paper you are used to drawing on.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

As a note the largest of the Bamboo tablets will mount a wireless connection (Kit sold separately of course). I've been using mine for a year now and I love it

I use a Trust TB-7300 widescreen tablet. It's just under A3 size, and it's fantastic, I love it. I've had it since 2009, and while there's a couple small cracks in the casing, it's still going strong. And it only cost me a hundred quid!

Just a note though, the default pen it comes with is a little awkwardly shaped - but Trust replaces broken pens for free if you apply on their website. And all their pens are cross-compatible with their tablets. Just a thought.

Link to the above mentioned tablet please. I am looking for one myself.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trust-Screen.../dp/B0013SQVG0

It appears the price has gone up since I bought mine 6 years ago. Nearly doubled. Still supremely worth it, though.
    The pen it comes with is a bit awkwardly shaped. About a year later, I bought one of these:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trust-Slimli.../dp/B002IPH5R6

The pen from that works perfectly with the original TB-7300 tablet. Also, if you don't feel like buying a completely separate tablet just for the pen, you can go to the trust website, fill in their "broken or lost parts" form, saying you bought the tablet from someplace within the last three years, and they'll send you one, completely free of charge.

Obviously, I don't need to do that, because I do have the second tablet. It's just a thought.

Guild Member

I bought the big Intuos Pro and I have to say, the only complaint I have is the damn thing is almost TOO big, I almost don't have the space on the table for it and the monitors, the keyboard and the mouse. And when the kittens come to play, I have to move it pronto.
    "..the next Riddick movie? It's a wild ride, I hear they're calling it Alice in Underverse."