Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: April / May 2015 Lite Challenge: Map What You Want To.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    In fact, when I first saw that map of Palmanova that I linked to, I didn't think it was a real place. I thought the map was an illustration out of a fantasy book.
    Okay I obviously didn't look very carefully at this. It's not just a fort, it's a whole town! You know, for a couple hours when I thought I might enter the last challenge I started working on a map of a planned town for my entry, I'm glad you found an example of a late medieval/early renaissance example for me . Much obliged.

cheers,
    Meshon

Help me out on the rules here..

If I wanted to do my own take on something old... like something from Forgotten Reams or Dragonlance, would that be legal?

-IG

I'm thinking that falls under anything you want.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by Belgath View Post
    I thinking of doing the chamber of renewal with the keys of creation but this month might be better spent if I figure out What the heck I'm doing in Photoshop.
    I think you mentioned you are drawing with a mouse. You might do yourself the favor of getting a inexpensive pad like bamboo or something if you can afford it. it will really make a difference for you I think.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Drawing with a mouse is painful. I am yet to chase up my dad on his promise of buying a tablet, then there's that issue that I won't always use it. :/

Mapping what we want to. Eek. I expect that there should be a lot of entries on this one...

Quote Originally Posted by industrygothica View Post
    Help me out on the rules here..
    If I wanted to do my own take on something old... like something from Forgotten Reams or Dragonlance, would that be legal?
    -IG
    Make anything you want. You should give credit for where the original map came from. Keep in mind that WotC are kinda strict about what people do with their stuff. I don't care, but they might.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Make anything you want. You should give credit for where the original map came from. Keep in mind that WotC are kinda strict about what people do with their stuff. I don't care, but they might.
    Haha.. thanks. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be selling anything, so hopefully I'll be ok. If I even do what I'm thinking... Still lots of time to decide.

-IG

Quote Originally Posted by MstrWelf View Post
    Of course feel free to do what inspires you ChickPea but I do remember a visit to Palmanova and when you are there right in the middle of this huge piazza it feels downright sterile or when you are lost in Germany's largest town square, but I guess that's what easily happens in a 'planned' city.
    Yeah, I can see that point of view from a visitor's perspective. Though from a map-making perspective, planned cities will work beautifully. I can already see all my nodes snapping perfectly to the grid in Inkscape .... *sighs happily*

Quote Originally Posted by Meshon View Post
    Okay I obviously didn't look very carefully at this. It's not just a fort, it's a whole town! You know, for a couple hours when I thought I might enter the last challenge I started working on a map of a planned town for my entry, I'm glad you found an example of a late medieval/early renaissance example for me . Much obliged.
    Haha, I live to serve! There are plenty more examples too. Wikipedia has a big list, though I think many of them are just forts.

1 Day Warning! I will close this challenge Thursday night sometime between 9 pm and midnight Eastern Daylight Savings Time. So last chance to Git-R-Done!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12