Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Requesting a map? Please read me.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I know it may sound strange but is it possible for multiple people to collaborate to create a map ? I think it could be a good idea espacially for unpaid request to allow people to collaborate and exchange ideas.

Can I somehow change the prefix on a request? I put [Paid?] because I might pay depending on whether the map or a derivative of it is published, but I can't pay straight away, so I'm worried it may have been misleading.

The Guild does not impose any rules on how cartographers work. In spite of the word "Guild" in our name. If the client and the artists are happy with a collaboration, then that's terrific!

In fact, Ravells & I collaborated on a project… quite a long time ago. I made a continental map, and he did a couple of local maps.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Before I post my request, I need to know what a professional map cost? I'm writing a fantasy novel and want to include a map.

Guild Apprentice

Default Price setting

Quote Originally Posted by lonewriter View Post
    Before I post my request, I need to know what a professional map cost? I'm writing a fantasy novel and want to include a map.
    http://www.elfwood.com/farp/thebusin.../priceart.html

Guild Novice

got it. Loading up the details on a word document to dump in

My apologies for the multiple post yesterday, should have read the posting confirmation dialog closer.

Ferrol, Coruńa, Spain, Earth, Solar System

I don´t know if I am speaking foolishness or not, and I know that I am still a newie in the forum (and surely someother people had proposed this idea before) but maybe it could be a good idea to compose a general price table between all the cartographer members of this guild.

I know that the artist's rates of eachone are a very sensitive matter, but I think it could be a positive fact for everyone using this forum. After that either one is free to increase (or decrease) the proposed rates.

In the time I wandered this great guild I had found that the vast plurarity of people that use the Mapmaking Request section of the forum say "I don´t know the rates of the market" or "I am not acquainted with cartography rates" and usually thinks that create a map is worth of $50-$60... This could be true in some cases but not always or it is not true when someone's asking for a A0 realistic color map, do you know what I mean?

Well, I left this proposal to the forum... Feel free to complely ignore it if it is a sillyness (also if any admin thinks that it is not the apropiate place to talk about it he/she can move it without problem).

Bye,

@ Antonio and lonewrite: How much someone should pay for a map is a thorny question. One of the things that concerns me is that by even suggesting some sort of 'guild approved' rate we will be influencing the prices that people charge and I am not sure if that is a good thing. I think that if you are someone looking to have a map made the best way would be to ask a range of cartographers what they would charge and based on their portfolio, time they can produce etc. make a decision from that.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast