Thread: Hail and well met!

Default Hail and well met!

Hello everyone!

My name is Troy Daniels, and I am a fantasy author (RPG and short story) and budding cartographer. Well I would like to be a cartographer but quite frankly I can't draw.

YET.

I plan on learning though, and hopefully learning from everyone here how to draw isometric maps. Ever since Ravenloft (the original) and the glorious maps on the inside covers I have always wanted to be able to duplicate those works of art. It is my hope that I will learn a bit here and with lots of practice perhaps start creating maps that go with the various things that I write.

I have written for the RPGA (Role Playing Games Association, adventures and magazine articles), Kenzer and Company (adventures, source books, conversions), WoTC (magazine articles and adventures) and with my current group, Fat Goblin Games. I am currently working on an L1L20 adventure called Guardians that I hope to use my mapmaking skills with.

Other than my gaming duties, I am an active duty Army guy, working in a job that I absolutely love. I have a wife (crazy), five kids (crazier), five cats (completely insane!), two rabbits (for sale!), and a lunatic dog named Emma who thinks that I am the best thing since Milkbone dog treats.

Take care all, and good gaming!

Troy

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Welcome, Troy!

We've got a whole subforum dedicated to tutorials, and if you have any questions I'm sure there's always someone here willing to listen and help you out. Some things have a steep learning curve, but the results are cerrtainly worth it.

Banned User

Hello Troy! Welcome to the Guild!

There is a great tutorial in the sticky section of Tutorials, called Quickstart Guide to Fantasy Mapping: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=4276

From there, go to Hand Drawn Mapping for the Artistically Challenged: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?t=10655

Once you have completed those two tutorials, you'll be well on your way!!